Saturday, April 21, 2012

Blog 23: Helping 2013

Who did you interview: Leslie Lopez
What day and time: Friday, April 20 at 11:30AM

1. What ideas do you have for your senior project and why?
  • Something related to Horror Films.
  • My feedback included saying that when choosing a senior project, you really should think about the whole picture and making sure the topic would work with all of the components that are included such as Service Learning.
2. What do you plan to do to complete the 10 hours of service learning (working with an expert) which is due prior to senior year starting?  Note: They also have to complete the 50 hours during the school year.
  • She plans on finding an internship at a place such as Universal Studios.
  • My feedback was that she should think of a couple other places as back-ups just in case her first plan didn't work out. I also advised her to start contacting a wide range of places as soon as possible since she hasn't done so as of yet.
3. What do you hope to see or expect to see when watching the class of 2012 present their two hour presentations?
  • She stated that she wanted to "actually learn something" about each topic and each project.
  • I told her to be patient with all of the presentations as it can be exhausting to go through two straight weeks of presentations as a viewer. I told her of my experience as a junior last year and how I observed how by the second week, many of my classmates grew tired of presentations. However, I told her how now, as a senior, I have grown to appreciate the senior project presentations as I now know the pressure and hard work that goes into it. 
4. What questions do they have about senior project?  What additional recommendations would you give the 2013 student about senior project?  Be specific and note what you told them.
  • She asked many questions including: 
    • How will I be prepared for presenting my 2-Hour?
      • My answer: There are several presentations beforehand throughout the year such as the 5 and 20 minute to help with stage nerves and preparation.
    • What has been the most difficult?
      • My response: Finding service learning, since many places can't or are not willing to allow a minor in their business/company. 
  • What additional recommendations did you give them?
    • My recommendations were to get started on her service learning ASAP and rake up as many hours as possible! I told her of my experience of having trouble finding a place that was willing and the difficulty of finding time in my schedule to complete my service learning. 

Who did you interview: Jared Gonzales
What day and time: Thursday, April 26 at 11:00AM

1. What ideas do you have for your senior project and why?
  • He said he was interested in making his topic based on policing or army related things. He's always been interested in those topics and wants to pursue a career in either the field of policing or military. 
  • My feedback was that something of that nature would be good when coming up with activities for presentations. 
2. What do you plan to do to complete the 10 hours of service learning (working with an expert) which is due prior to senior year starting?  Note: They also have to complete the 50 hours during the school year.
  • He is looking forward to working as an intern at a police station.
  • My feedback was to start asking places as soon as possible, since many places have a set number of required hours. 
3. What do you hope to see or expect to see when watching the class of 2012 present their two hour presentations?
  • He said that he thought the class of 2012 would produce good presentations.
  • My feedback was to be patient with the class of 2012 and to be prepared for the repetitive nature of the 2-hour presentations, particularly during the second week. 
(4) What questions do they have about senior project?  What additional recommendations would you give the 2013 student about senior project?  Be specific and note what you told them.
  • He only had one question and it was "Is it worth it to stay at i-Poly for senior year?"
    • I responded by saying that it was definitely worth it because although it is a tremendous amount of work, it is definitely possible to overcome. Also, I told him of my service learning experience as an intern at a newspaper and the countless other things I've learned thanks to my senior project that I wouldn't have learned had I gone somewhere else for my senior year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment